EIIA and Our Members
Serving our Members' Property & Casualty Insurance and Risk Management Needs:
- EIIA - Educational & Institutional Insurance Administrators, Inc. (EIIA) was formed over 50 years ago during the turbulent times of the 1960s. Colleges and universities found it difficult to obtain affordable insurance. This was especially true for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). In response, The United Methodist Church assisted the HBCU institutions affiliated with the Church to combine their resources and purchase insurance as a group. EIIA was formally incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation in 1976 with the specific purpose of providing group purchasing of property and casualty insurance coverages for the HBCU institutions affiliated with The United Methodist Church. EIIA successfully served the HBCU institutions and quickly grew to provide services to non-HBCU. Today, EIIA serves the insurance and risk management needs of liberal arts colleges and universities located in the 50 United States.
- College Insurance Company (College Ins. Co.) - College Ins. Co. was organized in 2002. EIIA is the sole member of this Vermont domiciled captive insurance company. College Ins. Co. is a not-for-profit insurance company that provides specific insurance and reinsurance capacity for the eligible higher education institutions.
- College Risk Retention Group, Inc. (College RRG) - College RRG was organized in 2009. EIIA is the sole member of this Vermont domiciled captive insurance company organized under the Federal Liability Risk Retention Act of 1986. College RRG began underwriting liability insurance risks in 2009.
- College Risk Purchasing Group, Inc. (College RPG) - College RPG was also organized in 2009. EIIA is the sole member of this Illinois company organized under the Federal Liability Risk Retention Act of 1986 in order to facilitate the group purchasing of insurance.
Serving our Members' Student Plan Needs:
- EIIA Student Trust - EIIA has been providing student insurance coverage since it was incorporated in 1976. The Student Trust, a grantor trust, was created 1996 to deliver alternative student health benefits in a creative and cost efficient manner.
Serving our Members' Employee Benefits Needs:
- GLAHIT - In 1984, insurance offerings were again expanded to include employee benefits, life and accidental death and dismemberment coverage. In 2006 the grantor trust Group Life Accident and Health Insurance Trust (GLAHIT) was organized to govern the operation of the employee benefit programs.